In India, different states, cities and districts favor their own unique cuisines including various food ingredients, based on their old-age traditions. Though we feel that these are just food ingredients that make up the taste of the dish, but the reason behind their use is something else. They all are medically useful.
It’s an old saying that “one apple a day keeps the doctor away.” But, now we have one more magical ingredient that will keep the doctor away i.e. onions. Yes, though onions are considered as a humble ingredient, but their uses are incredible. As you go from North towards South, the use of onion decreases whilst this still remains the staple food of North India.
Some dishes are totally incomplete without the addition of this magical ingredient, but no one ever thought that it can be so beneficial. Onions are rich in vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants that their medical benefits cannot be ignored.
Well, here are some of the magical benefits offered by raw onions:
- #1 The raw onion is rich in Vitamin C and phytochemicals that helps in building immunity.
- #2It may help in regulating blood sugar as it is rich in Chromium.
- #3It keeps your heart healthy by lowering the production of bad cholesterol (LDL).
- #4It is suggested to play a role in preventing cancer (colorectal and stomach) owing to the presence of Quercetin.
- #5It aids sleep, appetite and helps with depression as it contains Folate.
- #6Slow down or stop nose bleeding by inhaling while keeping a small piece of onion under the nostrils.
- #7Improve your oral health like tooth decay, gum issues, etc. by chewing raw onions, which eliminates the bacteria responsible for it.
- #8Cure allergies, common cold, fever, etc. by drinking a mixture of honey and onion juice.
- #9Onions possess antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties, especially freshly cut chopped onions that has already been proven.
- #10It improves hair and skin health due to the presence of Vitamin C, which helps in the formation of collagen.
- #11It has good cooling properties that will keep you cool in this scorching heat.
Hence, these are just a few medical benefits of onions, which have been proved or well-known. Nonetheless, who knows, how many magical curesthis tiny food ingredient offers.
Tip: Never over peel your onion, as it’s the outer layer that contains most of the flavonoids and other compounds responsible for its benefits.
Though peeling onions cause discomfort, but whether you love or hate it, eating onions should become a habit owing to their incredible health secrets.