Happiness is homemade, especially when it comes to cake. Be it a birthday, anniversary, housewarming, graduation or any other celebration; it is just incomplete without the sweet fillings of a scrumptious cake. And with the breezing winds, you have now many reasons than ever to bake an exquisite cake at home and give into the demands of your taste buds. And yeah, we are not talking about the usual flavored cakes, but about those which have a touch of creativity, oodles of ingredients and are baked with love. So, if you are one of them who desire to explore their love for baking cakes this festive season, then here we bring to you some of the most savoury and flavorsome cake baked with an artistic touch.
Must try Cake and sprinklers recipes at home:
1. Chocolate Sunflower
This chocolaty and flowery topped Cake is a yummy delight for the taste buds. Be it any day, this one will not fail to impress the cake connoisseurs as well.
- Buttercream Iced Cake
- Chocolaty or candy coating (1 cup each of red, purple or black)
- Black jimmies sprinkles or black sugar sparkles
- Small bowls or round plastic containers
- Heavy duty aluminum foil
- Rolling Pin
- Paring Knife
- To make this Cake, tear off several 3-inch wide strips of aluminum foil.
- Each of the sheet will contain 10 petals and in total you will require 30 petals.
- Then melt the red and purple candy in separate heatproof bowls and add 2-3 Black Candy coating chips to each bowl.
- Coat the knife with the purple candy and lay it against the foil, lining the bottom up and edge of the foil in a petal shape.
- Repeat the same procedure to create rest of the petals and the same process with the red candy but against the purple petal.
- Once the process is done, put aside the petals for about 10-15 minutes.
- Next is, pour the black jimmies sprinkles into a small bowl. With a rolling pin smush the sprinklers into smaller pieces.
- Take another bowl and place an aluminum foil on it, then melt the Black candy coating in a heatproof bowl put a quarter-sized amount of black chocolate.
- Place the flat end of the petal into the puddle of chocolate.
- Then while making the second layer of petals add a spoon of chocolate and place the petals one by one.
- Once the process is done, put aside the petal for about 10 minutes. After that remove the flower by picking it from the center.
- Then put another coating of black candy over the chocolate in the flower.
- Allow the flower to harden and then place it in the refrigerator, but not for a long time.
- Place the flower on a freshly made cake and store it in a cool, dark place till required.
2. Walnut Cake
This one is an easy, delicious, and comforting Cake for Winters and it will pamper your taste delights.
- 2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 ¼ teaspoons baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¾ cup unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 1 ½ cups granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs (room temperature)
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup buttermilk (room temperature)
- 1 cup chopped walnuts (toasted)
- Start the process for this Cake by preheating the oven to 350F & grease and flour two 8” cake rounds, line with parchment.
- Remove 1 spoon of flour in a bowl & toss it with walnuts and in another medium bowl whisk the remaining flour and toss, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon.
- Then take a stand mixer and beat butter until smooth, then add sugar and beat on med-high until pale and fluffy (2-3 mins).
- Next is reduce speed and add eggs one at a time, then add vanilla extract.
- You can also add flour mixture and buttermilk, beginning, and ending with flour, stop mixing when you can see a bit of flour incorporated and then fold in chopped walnuts.
- Divide batter into the prepared pans and smooth the tops with a spatula.
- Bake for approximately 30 minutes and place cake on wire rack to cool for 10 minutes, then turn out onto wire rack to cool completely.
Brown Sugar Swiss Meringue
- Now to make Brown Sugar Swiss Meringue Buttercream, you can place egg whites and sugar in a bowl and whisk until they are combined.
- Then place a bowl over a pan of simmering water to create a double-boiler, whisk constantly, heat the egg mixture until it registers 160 degree, then transfer the bowl onto the stand mixer.
- Beat the egg white mixture on high speed for 8-10 minutes.
- Switch to paddle attachment, with mixer on slow and add cubed butter and mix until incorporated.
- At last, add salt and whip for 3 to 5 minutes on medium-high.
- Place one layer of Cake separately and top with approximately 1 cup of buttercream and spread evenly.
- Then repeat the same process on the rest of the pieces, crumb coat the cake and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- Next is, Frost the cake, smooth the sides and top, use an icing comb on the sides or do a swirl and place back it in the fridge for 20 minutes.
- Then gently press the chopped walnuts along the bottom and top edge of the Cakes, Pipe Rosettes on the top using an open star tip with the leftover frosting.
3.Cinnamon Roll Layer Cake
Well, this Cake is delicious no matter how much you decorate it, but that’s the most interesting part of baking a Cake. Isn’t it?
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup sour cream, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 6 large egg whites, room temperature
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup milk, room temperature
- 1/4 cup water, room temperature
- To make this Cake, you have to start with preparing three 8 inch cake pans with parchment paper circles in the bottom and grease the sides & preheat oven to 350F (176C).
- Take a bowl & mix cream and butter together until light in color & fluffy about 3-4 mins.
- Then add Sour cream, vanilla extract and mix until combined.
- Add egg whites in 2 batches and mix well.
- Next is to combine dry ingredients in a separate bowl and then combine the milk and water in a small measuring cup.
- Add half dry ingredients into the batter and mix till they are well combined.
- Then divide the batter evenly between the cakes pan and bake for about 21-23 mins.
- Remove cakes from the oven and allow them to cool for 2-3 minutes.
- To make this, beat the butter and shortening together till they become smooth.
- Slowly, add half of the powdered sugar and mix until smooth.
- Then add vanilla extract, ground cinnamon, water or milk and mix until they become smooth.
- Then add remaining powdered sugar and repeat the process.
Cinnamon Sugar Glaze
Add powdered sugar, brown sugar and cinnamon to a bowl and whisk until it becomes smooth.
For the Assembly
- Put the cakes together using a large serrated knife to remove the domes from the top so that they are flat.
- Place the first cake on a dish, spread 2 ½ tablespoons of cinnamon sugar glaze over the cake layer, allow it to soak into the cake, spread 1 cup of frosting in an even layer on top of the cake.
- Now repeat the same process with the second layer of cake.
- Now divide the remaining frosting into 3 bowls with an extra 1 ½ to 2 cups of frosting in one bowl.
- Leave the bowl with the larger amount of frosting and color the other two bowls with gel icing color to get other two shades of brown.
- Then spread the darkest layer of frosting into an even layer around the bottom of the cake.
- Now the other colored frosting in the middle layer and top with the uncolored frosting and smooth out the sides of the cake.
- At last, pipe swirls of frosting around the top edge using an open star tip.
- Store it at the room temperature and serve fresh.
So, which one are you trying first? We loved all of them and surely you would also. Get a little crafty this winters and add a touch of flavorful and delightful Cakes to your celebrations!